Looks like Xbox One won't be the only next-gen console requiring a hefty day one update to enable core features.
According to Sony, PlayStation 4 too will require a 300 MB update on launch day to enable the following features:
• Remote Play using PlayStation Vita
• Second screen gaming using PS4 Link app for PlayStation Vita and smartphones
• Screenshots and video sharing
• Ustream and Twitch apps
• The ability to play games while they are being downloaded
• The ability for four users to log into the PS4 simultaneously
• Party chat
• Facial recognition and voice commands
• Background music player
• Online multiplayer through PlayStation Plus
• Blu-ray disc and DVD player capabilities
Additionally, the suspend/resume ability which allows users to put PS4 in standby mode to save power will be enabled through a subsequent system update that won't be available on the console's November 15th launch date.