The Settlers II: the Next Generation by Blue Byte Software & Funatics Development - playable demo
* Tutorial: The tutorial can be regarded as a kind of guided tour of the Settlers world. It is designed primarily for new or inexperienced players, and serves as an interactive introduction to the most important fundamentals of the game.
* Demo Map: Here your task is to help the Romans build a settlement on a small Pacific island.
* Restrictions of the demo:
o Playing time of the demo is limited to an hour. The game automatically ends after one hour. Please note that accelerating the game also shortens the playing time.
o The demo contains only the Romans. In the full version, you can also play the Chinese and Nubians.
o The demo does not support Multiplayer mode.
What does the Anniversary edition have to offer in comparison with the original The Settlers II from 1996?
We've made numerous enhancements and improvements compared with the original version of 1996 to transport the world of the Settlers into the 21st century and bring the game up to the state of the art. The following list contains some of the most important changes we've made to the "Settlers II 10th Anniversary" so that you'll have even more fun playing The Settlers:
* 3D Graphics
The game graphics have been updated using the latest technology. All of the in-game elements in "Settlers II 10th Anniversary" - environments, buildings, settlers, trees, mountains, etc. - were created and integrated using an all-new game engine. You have three nations to choose from - Romans, Nubians and Chinese - and each nation has its own special buildings. In addition, everything is zoomable and viewable from any camera position.
* Improved User Interface
In this version of the game, we've integrated a number of helpful functions which improve the game comfort appreciably. One example of this is the visible screen, which can now be moved directly with the mouse, allowing far more comfortable navigation through the game. In addition, many game elements (for example settlers, buildings, menus, symbols in the Building Selection Menu) have context-sensitive help in the form of dialog boxes containing important information and tips which appear when you hover the mouse over the respective element
* Multiplayer (Disabled in this version)
The classic version of "The Settlers II" already supported two players, but only on the same PC with a second mouse and in split-screen mode. Here too, we've integrated current technology into the game, and The Settlers II 10th Anniversary" has a Multiplayer mode which supports up to six players on different computers. Depending on their equipment, opponents can play against each other either via LAN or Internet.
* Building Cost Reimbursement
A significant innovation in the Gameplay is the building cost reimbursement. In the classic version, if a player neglected his wood supply management, sometimes no more buildings could be constructed because resources did not even suffice to build a Forester's Hut. In the new version, for each building you pull down you get back half of the resources that were used for its construction. This may mean having to take painful decisions, but it also means that you are not forced to end the game immediately because of lack of resources.
If an important event happened in "The Settlers II" (for example the completion of a building, the discovery of a mineral resource, or a hostile attack), you had to open the post box to get this information. This we have now done away with. In the new game version, all reports are automatically displayed in the upper left corner of the screen, accompanied by an acoustic signal. This means that you don't overlook anything, without having to constantly keep an eye on the post box.
* Additional Options for Military Buildings
Military buildings, which are used for territorial expansion, have been given two new functions in the Buildings Menu:
* For one thing, the new button "Upgrade Building" allows you to upgrade an existing military building by one level. With the help of this button, a Barracks, for example, can be replaced by a Guard House on the same spot, without having to tear down the Barracks first. Normal building costs for the Guard House incur nevertheless, but in the vicinity of enemy borders this function can be very useful, as otherwise demolishing a military building can lead to the border shifting in your disfavour.
* Secondly, the button "Evacuate Soldiers on/off" has been integrated in the Building Menu for military buildings. This allows you, for example, to redeploy soldiers from buildings far away from borders to other places where they are needed more urgently than in their present location. When the button is clicked, the soldiers leave the military building and automatically go to the Headquarters, where they await new instructions.
Standard Key Bindings:
SPACE Show construction sites
Pos 1 Headquarter
Esc Game Menu
H Jump to Headquarter
L Logic settings / Economy settings
M Mini Map
T Mission targets
V Speed up
Y GUI on / off
INS Rotate right
DEL Rotate left
PG UP Zoom in
PG DOWN Zoom out
Cursor Scroll map
Right Mouse pressed Free Camera rotation
O (Cursor over Settler) Observe Settler
System Requirements Demo:
OS: Windows XP
CPU: 1,4 GHz Intel Pentium IV or AMD (SSE) Athlon XP (3 GHz recommended)
RAM: 512 MB (1024 recommended)
3D Graphics Card: DirectX 9 compatible graphics card with 64 MB + 64 MB AGP aperture size, Shader 2.0 (128 MB, Shader 3.0 recommended)
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
The Settlers(r) II
(c)1996 -2006 Ubisoft Entertainment. All Rights Reserved. The Settlers, Blue Byte and the Blue Byte logo are trademarks of Red Storm Entertainment in the US and/or other countries. Ubisoft and the Ubisoft logo are trademarks of Ubisoft Entertainment in the US and/or other countries. Red Storm Entertainment Inc is a Ubisoft Entertainment company. Original The Settlers II developed by Blue Byte Software. Developed by Funatics Studio Alpha.