In 1999, Rockstar Games and Rockstar North (then known as DMA Design) furthered the groundbreaking gameplay concepts established just two years prior in the original Grand Theft Auto - with the release of GTA2. GTA2 expanded on the top-down, open-ended crime world gameplay formula with a host of new features including the advent of multiple rival gangs - seven, to be exact, including the Yakuza, Scientists, Looneys, Rednecks, Zaibatsu, the Russian Mob and Hare Krishnas. Earn your respect with each gang. Reap the benefits with all manner of shady work-for-hire gigs contracted your way. And climb your way to the top of the criminal pile.
Now, longtime Grand Theft Auto fans can revisit this classic entry in the series - and new jacks who missed out on this early franchise title can further discover Grand Theft Auto's roots - absolutely free. GTA2 has been completely optimized for play on modern PCs and is available gratis for all registrants to the Rockstar Games mailing list (rest assured your information will not be shared with any third parties, you will only receive information from Rockstar). Simply fill out the form on the Rockstar Classic website, follow download tab above. Once you complete the forms, Rockstar will email you the link which includes the install .exe, readme .txt file, and a .pdf of the original PC game manual.
GTA2 Rockstar Warning/Disclaimer:
- This version of GTA2 is modified from its original version to enable support for modern PC's and current Microsoft Windows platforms. However, we unfortunately cannot guarantee that GTA2 will work correctly on your PC. Download, Installation and execution of this software is entirely at your own risk.
- Due to overwhelming response, we have had to limit the number of concurrent connections to our download server. If you receive an error page, please try again later.
GTA2 Important Notes - Please read the following before downloading and installing:
- PLEASE NOTE that while this game may be downloaded for free by all who register by filling out the form on this page, it is NOT freeware and may not be mirrored or duplicated by any third parties without express written consent from Rockstar Games.
- After downloading GTA2, unzip the file and double-click on the installer (GTA2.exe).
- The Install program will start; follow the on-screen install instructions and choose where you would like to install GTA2.
- GTA2 will then be installed and a program group created for you in "START > PROGRAMS > Rockstar Games > GTA2".
- You will NEED to run "AutoDetect" from the Program Menu BEFORE running the game for the first time.
- In AutoDetect you can choose your Rendering Engine (Method of Graphics Display). If your Graphics card supports 3D acceleration then please choose "Direct3D"; otherwise please choose "DirectDraw" or whatever other option appears in the drop-down menu. If you are unsure please choose "Direct3D" (you can always change it back later).
- Once you are done with the AutoDetect, choose "Save" to save your settings. You can now run GTA2!
Just click on "START > PROGRAMS > Rockstar Games > GTA2 > GTA2" to start.
- If you have any performance/graphics related problems try going to the OPTIONS menu and select VIDEO OPTIONS and reduce your resolution and other 'performance' settings. *NOTE: This game requires DirectX 8.1 or higher to run. If you do not have the latest version of DirectX installed on your system, you may download it from http://www.microsoft.com/directx .