Several users and tech writers have reported severe cases of iPhone 3GS overheating. The Le Journal Du Geek writer posted pictures of a white phone that turned brown due to overheating!!
Today, Apple issued a statement where it admitted the problem, but still blamed it on the users' behavior.
Apple's statement listed the following actions as the main reasons behind iPhone 3G overheating:
• Leaving the device in a car on a hot day.
• Leaving it in direct sunlight for extended amounts of time.
• Using certain applications in hot conditions or direct sunlight for long periods of time, such as GPS tracking in a car on a sunny day or listening to music while in direct sunlight.
The statement also noted that if the interior temperature of the iPhone 3G exceeds normal operating temperatures, it attempts to regulate its temperature by doing the following:
• The device stops charging
• Display dims
• Weak cellular signal
• Temperature warning screen appears with the message "iPhone needs to cool down before you can use it"