What would happen if you took Quake III Arena, UT, a few Martians, some weird robots and gadgets, threw them in a blender and pressed the button? You'd have Alien Arena 2006, that's what!
AA2K6 is the latest in a series of standalone games based on a classic Sci-Fi theme with a modern, updated visual experience.
Copy file to your Alien Arena 2006 main folder.
In Linux - type "unzip aa2k6updateGE-x86.zip"
IMPORTANT: If you need to run the sdl version, you MUST copy crx.sdl overtop of crx (do not attempt to run the game by typing ./crx or ./crx.sdl)
In Windows, simply open with Winzip, and be sure to extract to your Alien Arena 2006 main folder.
Included in this update(updates since initial AA2K6 releae):
1. All weapons now have alt-fires.
2. Easy skill level bots are now much easier.
3. Hard skill(3) level bots now use alt-fires in appropriate situations.
4. Beamgun is now more responsive.
5. Weapon models that had hands on them, have had the hands removed.
6. Frag indicator and position now shown when you frag another player.
7. Bug fixed with dedicated servers running bots and crashing after long periods of up-time.
8. Player identification option(not working in Linux just yet)
9. Detail textures
10. Bot kick threshold(can set for dedicated servers to kick bots when certain amount of real players join - sv_botkickthreshold)
11. Bloom intensity slider
12. Map information shown in start server menu
13. More server info in server browser
14. Shaders on/off option
15. Shadows on/off option
16. No Brainlets on/off option
17. Lightmap brightness slider
18. Particle Beams on/off option
19. Emboss filter option
20. NEW MAPS!!! Dm-obsidian, Dm-Gauntlet, Dm-Blood, Dm-Redred, Dm-Area51, Aoa-Frost, CTF-Frost, CTF-Blood
21. Shaders on models
22. New menu and HUD
23. "Death From Above" bug fixed
24. New particle effects for explosions, smoke, flames
25. Added turrets
26. Added hovercraft vehicle for AOA(no maps for it yet)
27. Fixed chaingun alt-fire bug
28. Fixed disconnecting problems when downloading custom maps and skins
29. Fixed bug with sm_meat entities
30. Added cvar for listen server to change master server(this will probably never be needed, but if we ever get a second master server running, will be useful)
31. Fixed the buffer overflow problems that caused some servers to reject clients depending on the map used
32. Bomber's bombs are more powerful
The alt-fires are as follows:
Blaster - fires quick but weak beam.
Alien Disruptor - sniper mode zooms in, charges up power.
Chaingun - fires large single burst of bullets.
Flamethrower - fires long range fireball that explodes and burns on impact.
Rocket Launcher - fires homing rockets, if you have cells as well.
Alien Smartgun - fires trip mines.
Alien Beamgun - fires rapid fire plasma balls.
Alien Vaporizer - fires large single plasma bomb.
Skill level 3 "Nightmare" bots do the following manuevers:
If out of standard blaster range(500 units), will use alt-fire.
If over 1000 units and has an alien disruptor up, it will go into sniper mode.
If over 800 units and has the flamethrower up, will shoot the alt-fire fireball.
If Alien Smartgun is up, will fire trip mines randomly about the level.
If within 300 units and using Alien Beamgun, will use alt-fire.
if within 200 units and using Chaingun, will use alt-fire.
If within 300 units and using Alien Vaporizer, will use alt-fire.
If using Chaingun, Alien Beamgun, or Blaster, bot will circle strafe.
Bot will strafejump to move about the level.
Bot will rocket jump in combat(level 2 bots do this as well).
Server browser now includes information about servers, such as admin, website, fraglimits, etc
Start server menu now includes a window with information about each map, and also the ability to set the bot skill levels
This patch supersedes all current patches, including the "Nightmare Bots" patch.
For more information about Alien Arena 2006 visit http://red.planetarena.org