This will update any LE: I game version from 1.0.3 or newer to 1.0.5. Changes include AI improvements, UI tweaks, bug fixes and more. See File Details for the full list of changes.
Please make a backup of your LostEmpire.exe otherwise if you want to uninstall
the patch you will have to reinstall the game
Changes in 184.108.40.206
- Improved AI
- Many bug fixes
- UI tweaks
- Cheat codes
Changes since 220.127.116.11
* Bugfix: Ship electronics were not really working correctly in combat.
* AI: Changed Easy and Very Easy to use the new AI since the old AI is
broken-all it does is build colonizers, scouts, and starbases. The Easy and Very
Easy AI's get penalties to range and resources.
* Bugfix: Space Ship Construction tech was not increasing construction
capacity-it was only increasing the number of space yards that could be built.
* Bugfix: Sorting by Health was not working correctly on Fleet Tactics screen.
* Bugfix: Fixed bug with AI Leader assignments
* Bugfix: Fixed crash when trying to access the savegame list if one of the
saves was corrupt.
* Bugfix: AI Explore ships would sometimes get stuck
* Bugfix: Explore ships would sometimes get stuck if two star systems were
really close together.
* Bugfix: Fixed crash during turn processing when AI decides to take over enemy
* Bugfix: Fixed crash during turn processing when AI decided to withdraw one of
the fleets involved in an attack.
* AI: Made some tweaks. Not entirely convinced the AI economy is optimal at the
* Bugfix: Loading a savegame wiped out all fleet waypoints, requiring them to
be set again.
* Bugfix: AI now detects if some of its ships have lost their orders due to the
loadgame waypoint bug and assigns them new orders.
* UI: Fleets containing only engineless starbases that are stationed at
colonies automatically Repair each turn without having their orders set to
* AI: Randomized AI Attack routine a little bit to make it slightly harder to
* Bugfix: AI was building massive amounts of troops for invasions but bug was
preventing it from picking most of them up.
* Bugfix: AI was unable to assess potential threats to colonies near an
* Bugfix: AI was building too many troops in some cases.
* Bugfix: Fixed bug that prevented AI from declaring war on anybody.
* Bugfix: Bonus Research Points would sometimes go negative, which caused all
research to stop.
* Bugfix: System Overview - clicking the Close button no longer activates the
priority button instead.
* Bugfix: AI was building more ships than it could pay the upkeep costs.
* AI: AI will now occasionally re-evaluate leader assignments.
* UI: On the System Overview screen, right-clicking the Maximize Army, Maximize
Missiles, and Terraforming checkboxes will apply the setting to your entire
* UI: When shield, armies, or missiles numbers are too big, an abbreviated
number is used.
* UI: News event now goes out whenever a Minor Race dies just like it does for
the Major Races.
* AI: More improvements to turn processing time for long games.
* AI: Tweaked colonization, planetary defense building, ship construction
* Bugfix: System Overview displayed incorrect temperature for "Too Cold"
* Bugfix: Crash during turn processing when AI empire is destroyed.
* UI: Enabled CTRL-P Cheat (single-player only) - highlight a major empire on
the score panel on the right and hit CTRL-P to take control of that player until
end of turn. NOTE: Do not change fleet orders of the AI player or else the AI
will likely become confused and may even crash the game. Mostly useful to see
what the AI empire is up to, or to tweak its build queues.
* UI: Added colony count and population totals to Empire Overview screen.
* AI: Significantly improved AI processing time for large empires.
* AI: AI now makes use of fleet Repair command.
* Bugfix: Fixed another crash when starting a new game with the Milky Way
* Bugfix: SHIFT-clicking was not allowing you to set multiple waypoints for a
* Bugfix: Fixed crash when setting a fleet to Patrol with multiple waypoints
* Bugfix: The first turn after loading a savegame, systems were not being
protected by nearby Fortress systems, causing excess planetary defenses to be
dismantled at the end of the turn.
* Bugfix: Fixed temperature displaying too many decimals after terraforming.
* Changed Human Defensive Trait again. You no longer get free troops or
missiles. Now you get to build them for 25% cheaper.
* In Battleviewer, shield effects will display without sound effects and not as
brightly when the shields absorb damage but do not deflect any of it.
* Fixed occasional crash when starting a new game that was introduced in
* Applied forum member Iceman's extensive corrections to the English text.
* Reduced the size of the ancient fleet event. Ancient fleet no longer requires
* Tweaked some AI settings.
* Bugfix: Corrected positions of Small Weapon Slots in Starbase design window.
* Bugfix: Corrected damage increase through research of Penetrator missiles
* Bugfix: Corrected overpowered Medicine science
* Bugfix: The following techs were not implemented in combat: Energy
Deflection, Matter Conversion, Heat Dissipation, Shockwave Harmonics, Super
Cooled Coils, Shaped Charges, Biomechanical Guidance, High Pressure Combustion,
Antimatter Penetration, Antimatter Stabilizer, Containment Field Efficiency,
Super Charged Heaters, Precision Accelerators, Magnetic Containment, Energy
Penetration, Focused Energy, Enhanced Power Coils.
* Bugfix: Fixed rare crash bug during AI turn processing (hopefully).
* Bugfix: Fixed crash during turn processing if you set a fleet waypoint
outside your fuel range.
* Bugfix: Fixed crash during game startup if you have invalid galaxy files in
your galaxies folder.
* Bugfix: When you get the race history event in which you find an ancient
fleet, you now get control of a powerful and ancient fleet at the location of
* Balance Change: Human Defensive racial bonus no longer lets you purchase
"free" troops or missiles at each of your systems. Instead, you are given free
troops and missiles when you first colonize a system, up to the limits of your
technology. When you research Barracks or Planetary Missiles, each of your
colonies receives extra free troops and missiles until each colony has received
the total bonus allowed for by the racial trait. Basically this means each
colony will automatically produce 10 troops and 5 planetary missiles for free
one time only.
* NOTE: Old savegames will not load after applying this patch! Do not apply
this patch if you wish to finish any old games
* This patch has a completely reworked AI. The AI should now provide for
challenging computer opponents.
* "Very Easy" and "Easy" computer opponents use the old AI.
* "Normal" opponents use the new AI but get no special bonuses or penalties
* "Hard" opponents use the new AI and get bonuses to scanner/fuel range,
resource production, ship construction speed.
* "Very Hard" opponents use the new AI and get large bonuses to scanner/fuel
range, resource production, ship construction speed. "Very Hard" opponents
should be very difficult to defeat.
* UI: Enabled CTRL-C Cheat console while viewing the starmap (single player
* UI: Added Over-population news event which occurs if you drop troops onto a
system causing your population to go over the limit. Warns you that your people
* UI: Added Hostile Fleet news event which occurs the first turn you spot a
hostile fleet heading towards one of your systems or fleets.
* UI: Show All Waypoints shows you the destination of hostile fleets that are
heading towards one of your systems or fleets.
* UI: Currently selected fleet will show its path in cyan instead of green to
make it easier to figure out where it is going.
* UI: Colonizable Systems screen will show the name of any colonization fleets
en route beneath the system name.
* UI: Fleet Overview screen will show "-" in the orders column for any idle
* UI: When transferring troops to/from your fleets, the planet's target troop
count will be changed to match what is on the planet (within limits) to prevent
troops from accidentally being built or disbanded on the next turn.
* Bugfix: AI difficulty was always getting reset to Very Easy when loading a
* Bugfix: Planetary Defense installations now slowly disband if they are over
the limit (occurs when a system loses protection from a Fortress System).
* Bugfix: When disbanding missiles, you no longer regain minerals if the
missile disbanded was one of the free ones you get for your government.
* Bugfix: Fixed game to use Planetary Shield Cost from XLS files properly.
Removed duplicate from MISC tab.
* Bugfix: When cancelling production of a colony ship, you now get your
* Bugfix: Fixed bug that allowed you to get multiple 2nd Capitals after loading
a savegame (the new AI was real good at exploiting this bug).
* Bugfix: Fixed bug in fleet ETA calculations for paths involving multiple
* Changed Megalanian science specialty from shields to hull tech since AI does
not use shields very well, and hull tech sort of fits with their other bonuses.
* Only one battle will occur at a system each turn no matter how many fleets
are present (before one battle would occur for each fleet, even though all
fleets fought all battles). This was one cause of the turn slowdowns.
* You can now colonize systems even if another empire's ship is present at the
system - as long as you are not at war with each other.
* Ships with Explore orders will tend to prefer exploring new systems rather
than reclaiming fuel stations taken by other empires.
* You can now only move fleets to other fleets or systems. You can no longer
set a fleet destination to the deep space between the stars. The AI just cannot
defend itself properly against such actions. For those of you that prefer the
old free movement system, you can re-enable it in the MISC tab of the Game.xls
* Galaxies will show their English names/descriptions if they do not have a
proper foreign language name/description.
* Increased rate at which Singularity Engine speed increases with research
* Slightly increased firing speed of Antimatter weapons and tweaked their range
and damage. Antimatter weapons are now very powerful but short range weapons
* Increased range of energy weapons. Energy weapons are now weak but long range
* No changes to plasma weapons. Plasma weapons are average damage and range.
* Tweaked missile weapons range, damage, reload speed, research cost, mineral
cost. Missile weapons are smaller than other weapon types and give you the
choice of slightly more damage for less range or slightly more range for less
damage, though not as extreme as Energy Vs Antimatter
* Swapped a couple of Point Defense slots for Small Weapon slots on the
Starbase to make it effecti ve against all ship classes.
* AI: AI will now make use of Terraforming tech
* AI: AI will no longer research techs it shouldn't have access to
* AI: AI makes better research choices.
* AI: AI should now be much more aggressive and better at defense. It should
actually provide a small challenge now.
* AI: AI will now build battleships (a bug was preventing it)
* AI: AI will now build and use star-bases with engines (if the tech is
* AI: AI will now use the 2nd Capital system type when appropriate.
* AI: AI no longer creates invalid ship designs
* AI: AI will no longer create a bajillion different ship designs that are all
the same (eating up memory and slowing down the game).
* Fixed bugs with savegame corruption caused by 18.104.22.168 beta. Savegames created
by 22.214.171.124 are not recoverable.
* Balance: Capitals & Second Capitals now have the special abilities of
Fortress Systems, Trading Systems, Outposts, and Construction Systems.
* Balance: Armies now cost 5 population to build. Armies now consume food and
live in Biospheres when stationed on a planet.
* Balance: Population Growth is now affected by the Food slider: Don't feed
your people enough and they do not reproduce as quickly. Feed them extra and
they reproduce faster.
* Balance: The # of population that survive when colonizing a new planet is now
dependant on the inhabitability of the planet instead of random.
* Balance: Systems protected by a Fortress system can now build extra defensive
structures (previously only the fortress system itself got any bonus).
* Balance: Systems protected by a Fortress system now get a 100% bonus (instead
of 50%). Fortress systems themselves now only get 50% bonus (instead of 100%).
This should make Fortress systems more useful and also more of a tactical
target. Note: Capitals always get the bigger defensive bonus.
* Balance: Toned down trade systems a little bit. They now generate trade
income based upon the type of resources being produced by the systems they trade
with. Ie if they trade with Agriculture systems, they will generate additional
* Bugfix: Defensive structures were not being disbanded when you reduced the
number you wanted to below the current amounts on the planet.
* Bugfix: Fix bug in Very Hard AI that prevented them from getting their
starting tech bonuses.
* Performance: Fixed performance issues first time you saved a game (or
* Bugfix: Population on colony ships now consume food.
* Bugfix: AI was building planetary shields for free.
* User Interface: When you select a Trade colony, an orange circle will appear
indicating the trading range of the system.
* Misc: Added more MISC mod settings.
* Added files to the patch that the German 1.0.3 patch installer was not
installing. This should fix German versions of the game that crash on startup
after installing a patch.
* Added some logging to the turn processing to help identify a system hang
issue one user is having.
* Converted all XLSX (Excel 2007) files to XLS (Excel 97-2003) to make them
easier to mod
* Added "MISC" tab to Game.xls to hold miscellaneous settings used in the game
* Moved a few "magic numbers" from the game code into the MISC tab so they can
* User Interface: System Bars revamped. They now all use the same scale. They
are no longer scaled based on the systems you have explored, but based upon the
entire galaxy. And uncolonized system bars now show how many improvements you
would have if you colonized the system and picked an appropriate colony type. So
they shouldn't change when you colonize them.
* User Interface: Modified System Overview to remember your sort settings when
you reopen the window.
* User Interface: Modified System Overview to remember whether you are viewing
colonies or colonizable systems when you reopen the window
* User Interface: Modified System Overview to scroll the list to the currently
selected system from the main screen if it is in the currently shown list (ie
colonizable or colonies list) when you open the window.
* Balance Change: Max Population is no longer directly affected by
* Balance Change: Max Biospheres is now affected by inhabitability. The more
uninhabitable a planet, the fewer biospheres you can build on the planet.
Combined with the above change your effective max population on a planet isn't
any different. Loading savegames made prior to the patch will temporarily give
you excess max population until the extra biospheres are automatically
* Balance Change: Star system populations no longer grow when starving-ie if
you get a message stating your people are dying from starvation they will not
also grow (usually by more than they starve!)
* Bugfix: Corrected starvation message to show total amount of population
killed (was showing amount killed at one system).
* Bugfix: Planetary scanners now get the Scientist leader bonus
* Bugfix: Fleet Deep Space scanners now get the Govt Fleet Scanners bonus
* Bugfix: If cloaking tech was way better than enemy scanning tech cloaked
ships would sometimes be made visible by mistake.
* Bugfix: Planets were not using the correct range when trying to detect
* Bugfix: Govt modifier Reduced Ship Building Cost not working correctly
(though I do not think this govt modifier is currently used in the game)