This patch introduces new functionality to Battle.net that allows players to organize and join custom StarCraft leagues. These leagues support stat-tracking, custom icons, and replay uploading, among other features.
We are pleased to announce a new interface feature that will allow approved parties to manage custom StarCraft leagues within Battle.net. With this addition, we have created a StarCraft League Development Kit (LDK), which is a set of tools and documentation that will instruct aspiring league providers on how to create and operate sanctioned StarCraft leagues. The LDK will provide instructions on how to create your own league website and database and on how to submit your league to Blizzard Entertainment for approval and implementation.
Anyone who wants to operate his or her own StarCraft league will need to request an LDK by emailing email@example.com with "StarCraft LDK Request" in the subject line. Below is a brief summary of some of the information contained in the LDK, including what's needed to create or join a league and the benefits of being in a league.
Playing In a League
If you would like to play in a custom league, you will need to do the following:
* Create an account at the league provider's website. We strongly advise using a different password than you use to play on Battle.net.
* Download and install the league provider's mopaq, which will be made available to you when you create your account.
* Log in to Battle.net and click on the "League" button to bring up the league-selection menu.
* Select your league from the dropdown list and log in.
* Play games against others in your league.
Once a league's mopaq is installed on your computer, you will have access to the following:
* Reliable statistics uploaded to your league's website for league members to view.
* Game replays uploaded to your league's website for league members to view.
* League icons viewable by others in your league.
Organizing a League
A potential league provider will have to do the following:
* Create a database to track players' accounts, passwords, and statistics.
* Create a website that will respond to the required queries (i.e. login, statistics, replay-file upload).
* Create league-specific artwork, including four icons and one background image, in a StarCraft-compatible format to be displayed in-game.
* Provide Blizzard with the information to create and approve a file package ("mopaq").
* Distribute the league's mopaq along with any league maps, once they have been approved, to players in the league.