Notepad++ is a free source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL Licence.
Based on a powerful editing component Scintilla, Notepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size. By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing user friendliness, Notepad++ is trying to reduce the world carbon dioxide emissions. When using less CPU power, the PC can throttle down and reduce power consumption, resulting in a greener environment.
• Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding
• User Defined Syntax Highlighting
• Regular Expression Search/Replace supported
• Full Drag 'N' Drop supported
• Dynamic position of Views
• File Status Auto-detection
• Zoom in and zoom out
• Multi-Language environment supported
• Brace and Indent guideline Highlighting
• Macro recording and playback
Here's a little Notepad++ launcher which allows you to replace Notepad completely by Notepad++.
• Backup your original Notepad.exe (we never know...).
• Copy notepad.exe which comes with this package into 4 directories (in given order) :
When you replace notepad.exe in c:windowssystem32 and c:windows, a "Windows File Protection" message box appears, click Cancel. Then another message box appears, click OK.
• Modify you registry (if you use installer to install your Notepad++, you don't need to do this step): Create key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARENotepad++, then add your Notepad++ full path as the default value of this key. In my case, it's C:Program FilesNotepad++.
Now Notepad++ is your default Notepad.