Age of Empires II is still getting big updates over two decades on from its original release. Lords of the West for the AOE2 Definitive Edition brings with it two new Civilizations, with their own unique units, upgrades, and technologies, as well as a trio of new campaigns.
The two new nations are the Burgundians and Scicilians and they offer intriguing epoch trees and potential strategies are very different.
- Economic upgrades are available one Age earlier than other civs
- Stable technologies cost -50%
- Gunpowder units gain +25% attack
- Relics generate both Gold & Food
- Coustillier cavalry unit - Utilizes a powerful shock attack when charging into battle." Strong vs. infantry and archers. Weak vs. Camel Riders and Monks.
- Burgundian Vineyards tech - Convert all food into gold at a 2:1 ratio, Farmers slowly generate gold in addition to food.
- Castles and Town Centers are constructed 100% faster
- Land military units absorb 50% of all incoming bonus damage
- Farm upgrades provide +100% additional food to Farms before they need to be reseeded
- Transport ships +5 carry capacity and +10 armor against anti-ship attacks
- Serjeant – A hardy infantry unit which can also construct Donjons
- Donjon – Unique fortification used to train Serjeants. Units can garrison in the building for protection; Archers and Villagers shoot additional projectiles when garrisoned.
The campaigns let you play as Edward Longshanks, reforging the Kingdom of England and taking back control from rebels through England, Wales, and Scotland. The Grand Dukes of the West sees you building the kingdom of the Burgundians, fighting for independence from the French King. The Hautevilles lets you help transpose the descendants of Robert de Hauteville throughout some of Europe's major powers.